A beta of the SQL Compact desktop runtime, that allows you to use Entity Framework beta 3 against a SQL Compact 3.5 database is now available for download.
SQL Server Compact 3.5 SP1 Beta release for the ADO.Net Entity Framework Beta 3 enables the following scenarios:
- Applications can work in terms of a more application-centric conceptual model, including types with inheritance, complex members, and relationships
- Applications are freed from hard-coded dependencies on a particular data engine or storage schema
- Mappings between the conceptual application model and the storage-specific schema can change without changing the application code
- Developers can work with a consistent application object model that can be mapped to various storage schemas, possibly implemented in different database management systems
- Multiple application models can be mapped to a single storage schema
- Language-integrated query support provides compile-time syntax validation for queries against a conceptual model
So now SQL Compact supports both LINQ to SQL and LINQ to Entities - desktop only.