Thursday, December 2, 2010

[OT] Team Foundation Server 2008 Web Access SP1 on Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 (standalone server)

Despite the fact, that Team Foundation Server 2008 SP1 (TFS 2008) does not support x64 platforms, I managed to get Team Foundation Work Item Only View to run on a Windows Server 2008 R2 x64 machine. I thought I would blog about it to help others facing the same issues I overcame:

This is what I did (no guarantees implied):

In web.config in the WIWA folder, set limitedMode=true.

Then, when I tested the WIWA app, the following error occurred on the Work Item form: Could not load file or assembly  'Microsoft.TeamFoundation.WorkItemTracking.Controls

I installed Sysinternals Process Monitor, and configured the following filter, to only monitor web application file system errors:

clip_image002

I then ran the application, and noticed the following error:

clip_image002[5]

As you may be able to see, the web page attempts to load a Team system DLL from the C:\Program Files folder, where it should have attempted to load it from the C:\Program Files (x86) folder.

My lame fix was to copy all the files in the PrivateAssemblies folder to a corresponding folder (that I created) in C:\Program Files.

No comments: